Searching for internships for your students? Northwestern Mutual has 2,500April 14, 2011 at 9:30 am | Posted in Job market | 7 Comments
Tags: EHS, finance, hiring, insurance, New York City, northwestern mutual
Business news sources recently, ranging from the Baltimore Business Journal to topix.com, businesswire.com and biz.yahoo.com and more, are buzzing about the announcement that Northwestern Mutual will hire 2,500 financial representative interns from colleges and universities nationwide this year. The Milwaukee-based financial services firm said the large number of internships results from “increased demand from Americans who seek financial guidance.” The following information may help you decide if you should recommend that your students apply:
- Who is Northwestern Mutual? Northwestern Mutual has helped clients achieve financial security for more than 150 years. As a mutual company with $1.2 trillion of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual shares, where possible, its gains with policy owners and delivers consistent and dependable value to clients over time. Northwestern Mutual and its subsidiaries offer a holistic approach to financial security solutions, including life insurance, long-term care insurance, disability insurance, annuities, investment products, and advisory products and services.
- Northwestern Mutual’s rationale: “This generation witnessed the impact of unprecedented financial turmoil and as a result, they appreciate the importance of financial planning and they’re taking action,” said Michael Van Grinsven, Northwestern Mutual field internship director. “Instead of waiting, more young adults are addressing their long-term financial futures.” Applicants can visit Northwestern Mutual’s website or contact a Northwestern Mutual office to learn more about internships.
- Top Ranking: Northwestern Mutual offers one of the top 10 internships in the country, according to the 2011 Vault Guide to Internships. The annual Vault study measures mentorship and career advancement opportunities, number of active interns, compensation, intern feedback and unique appeal. For 15 straight years, Northwestern Mutual’s program has been recognized by Vault for providing interns with opportunities for personal and professional growth, valuable training and real-world experiences with a respected financial security company. More than 31,000 students across the country have participated in Northwestern Mutual’s internship program since its inception in 1967.
- Internship options: Northwestern Mutual offers a wide selection of internships all over the country from New York City to Omaha, NE. Internships may be paid or unpaid, fulltime or part-time, or for college credit. Many interns start full-time in the summer and continue working part-time through the rest of their college careers. Throughout the internship experience, students have access to Northwestern Mutual mentors and joint-work programs to support intern development.
- What former interns say: Andres Baltazar, a 2007 DePaul University graduate and former Northwestern Mutual intern, now manages a successful financial practice in Skokie, Il, helping hundreds of clients each year. “When I attended DePaul, I wanted an internship where I could make an impact on people’s lives,” said Baltazar. “You don’t get people coffee; you help people achieve financial security, and that kind of opportunity to make a difference is so rare for students today.” The Northwestern Mutual website also offers videos by former interns Meghan and Ron, which may interest your students.
- How internships.com can help: You’ll find many excellent opportunities listed on the site for Northwestern Mutual. For example, there is a fulltime, paid with college credit required internship in Saint Petersburg, FL. Applicants must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 college credits. Another listing is for a part-time internship in mid-town Manhattan. Again, internships.com can help if housing is a problem. Your students can follow a link to Educational Housing Services (EHS) that offers off-campus residences for students and interns in New York City. The EHS motto is Live Like a New Yorker, which should appeal to many students.